[Wylug-discuss] Gnome 3 Review

Tim Schofield tim at weberpafrica.com
Fri Mar 23 05:06:31 UTC 2012

On 22 March 2012 22:52, Simon Brown <lists at 700c.org> wrote:
> At Thu, 22 Mar 2012 11:29:59 +0300,
> Tim Schofield wrote:
>> Looking around the office that I find myself in this morning, I can't
>> see many jobs that can be done more efficiently by using a touch
>> screen device, in fact quite the opposite. I think that in an office
>> environment keyboards will be the dominant input device for many years
>> to come.
>
> Thank you for this, it illustrates my point wonderfully.

No problem,

> The primary use of computer systems has changed since their invention
> and will continue to do so as computer systems evolve. Up until the
> early nineties, computer use was dominated by "Big" users, scientific
> research, military, telephone exchanges and such. Then came office
> productivity and a computer in every home. Now social and personal use
> of computers is becoming dominant and the market is changing with it.
>
> Just as the UNIX system vendors of the 90s suddenly found themselves
> marginalised by the far higher sales of desktop PCs. Vendors of
> desktop office PCs are finding themselves marginalised by higher sales
> of phones and tablets.
>
> R&D money follows sales. Which do Apple sell more of, iOS devices or
> MacOS devices?
>
> Those office jobs you saw this morning being done with a keyboard will
> continue to be done with a keyboard for the near future. It's just
> that those uses will constitute a minority of computer uses.
>
> If Windows, GNOME and Unity don't change to suit the computer systems
> people are buying, they might go the same way as Tru64, AIX, IRIX and
> Solaris.
>
> Simon

Thank you for this, it illustrates my point wonderfully :-)

Gnome/Unity seems caught in the mindset that all computing devices can
only have one interface, and they have chosen to go with the one for
interacting with the latest fashion of social networking. The number
of office desktop computers is not declining, the notion of a pc on
every desk holds true today as it always did. A touch screen interface
for these people is inefficient. I am not convinced that all devices
need the same interface. Do I really want my washing machine to have
the same interface as my TV for instance.

You seem to be saying that the Linux desktop should abandon the office
user in favour of facebook users. I think we must agree to disagree on
that point.

Thanks
Tim

--