[Wylug-discuss] [WYLUG-DISCUSS] Stuck with Ubuntu?

Mike Goodman mikegoodman1 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 12:23:40 UTC 2012

On 29 March 2012 12:55, Paul Brook <paul at codesourcery.com> wrote:

> Standard for whom?
For my average desktop machine.

> Also, it sounds like you problems are actually due to inadequate support on
> the install CD.
The problem, singular, is that some mobo manufacturers including
G'byte are taking a shortcut whilst remaining compliant on a specific
ISO standard which gives one more detail for distro compilers to be
aware of. According to the various boards the CentOS compilers were
not when they built v6.

> Install media is particularly vulnerable to this problem as it tends to be
> built once for the original release, and never updated.
The CentOS compilers are now aware of both the problem and the
solution (cited in my OP above), which will be included in the next
release, i.e. v6.3 according to their known bugs list.

 It's generally not
> that hard to build yourself a USB install image with a different kernel.  Or
> install on a different machine (or inside KVM), move the system disk accross
> and fix the bootloader.
TBH, I wouldn't know where to start. Unless anyone has another distro
to suggest, I'll try Anne's solution at the weekend. If that doesn't
work I'll simply await the next release of either with the problem
solved.

> Paul

Mike