[Wylug-discuss] SD Card Formatting

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Tue May 8 11:46:06 UTC 2012

Hello. I'm failing to format an SD card. Anybody got any suggestions of
what to try?

Photos saved to the card were frequently being corrupted:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/smylers/sets/72157629633149300/

I wasn't sure if it was the camera or the card at fault, but thought
reformatting the card may help.

I tried Palimpsest (Gnome Disk Utility), which displayed the card as
being a drive with an MBR then a single volume with the W95 FAT 32
filesystem.

Trying to format either the volume or the drive using Palimpsest gives
'Input/output error'.

Using mkfs to format appears to work:

  $ sudo mkfs -t vfat /dev/mmcblk0
  mkfs.vfat 3.0.12 (29 Oct 2011)

But mounting fails:

  $ sudo mount -t vfat /dev/mmcblk0 /media/CANON_DC
  mount: /dev/mmcblk0: can't read superblock

Any advice?

Cheers

Smylers
--