[Wylug-discuss] Linux server assistance

Lee Evans lee at leeevans.org
Mon Nov 5 20:11:50 UTC 2012

Hi all,

We have a client with a linux web server (apache, mysql, php) running some
wordpress sites.

They are a relatively high volume site.

We have been having some trouble with outages, which I suspect  to be due to
load (and possibly malicious at that) issues.

The server locks up or grinds to a halt, there are far more httpd processes
running than normal yet the usage stats suggest that there aren't many live
users.

My personal suspicion given the symptoms is a targeted DDoS attack using
some sort of SYN flood to open too many connections which have a dead end.

Is there anyone out there that would be interested in helping us get to the
bottom of this?

It's beyond our skill set with general server / apache installation and
maintenance.

Thanks

Lee