[Wylug-discuss] No cursor keys

Dave Fisher wylug-discuss at davefisher.co.uk
Fri Dec 20 15:38:18 UTC 2013

My laptop's UP and DOWN keys have failed entirely and the LEFT key is on
its way out.

This isn't a problem in vim or any tool that uses readline, but it's a
serious handicap in the 3 browsers that I normally use: lynx, firefox,
chrome (especially for scrolling through histories and editing).

I once knew xmodmap well enough to create 2-key bindings for the cursor key
control codes, but that knowledge has long slipped from my memory and I've
no idea about how to create such generic bindings in the current landscape
of conflicting desktop environments, compositors and window managers.

Can anyone at least suggest a useful place to start researching this, that
won't send me off to chase a whole host of (mostly deprecated) red herrings?

Thanks,