[Wylug-discuss] Interesting view from a Google employee

Richard Ibbotson richard.ibbotson at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 8 15:23:42 UTC 2013

On Monday 07 January 2013 21:52:04 D.Bolton wrote:
> "Linux Users can't be trusted to behave if they are taken out into
> public"

Just to finish this off a bit... I remember that a few years after I
got my first 486 PC back in the early 90's I had an e-mail chat with
the person who invented the Google search engine in a U.S. university.
We had a good discussion with each other.  For him it was a bit of an
academic joke.  Couple of years later one of his students got on to
me.  Said that he was flat broke and was going to leave the project
that he had been working on which was on a 486 at the same university.
I air mailed him something like $100.  That kept him going for two
weeks.  Just about.  Finished his project.  Then the business people
arrived and took over and marketed the newly formed Google

Some years later I arrived at Mountain View in California on the day
that SGI moved out and Google moved into the same building.  I was
almost the only person to see the old SGI crowd walk out and the new
Google crowd walk in.  Since then Google has gone downhill quite a
bit. Greed has taken over.  My own experiences at the Saint-Ghislain
data centre proved to me that Google is not anything like the
organisation it was when it started.

--
Richard
www,sheflug.org.uk