[Wylug-discuss] West Yorks. Python Group - This Thursday 11 July - Turtles!

Peter Russell qwertyface at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 09:11:51 UTC 2013

== West Yorkshire Python User Group Meeting - Thurs. 11 July ==

= Coding Session: Turtles All The Way Down =

This month Simon Davy is going to be leading a coding session.

= About the session =

Since PyCon UK last year, Simon has been exploring the idea of doing
more with Python's turtle module, specifically using it for more fun,
engaging and progressively more advanced ways of teaching children.

Simon will do a short (20mins max) overview of what he's been doing
(OpenGL renderer, standalone implementation, enhanced existing
version), and what he's planning (physics), and then talk about some
of the lesson/task ideas.

We'll then split into pairs and attempt to program a few of these
ideas in one hour, and then get back together to see what we've got.
The goals are a) to try it out as an exercise, b) have some examples
to show, c) find friction points and discover what things would need
to be provided for novice programmers to be successful.

I hope that we'll end up committing some bare bones examples to the
Github organisation (and also participate in Julython).

= Who's it for? =

This session should be suitable for all. People who are just getting
started with Python might particularly like it, as you'll have the
chance program with an experienced Python user.

= Date and Time =

Thursday 11 July. Talk at 7.30.

If you want to arrive before the talk, The venue will be open from
about 6.30. We will be finished at around 9, and we will be going to
the pub afterwards.

= Location =

We will be meeting at the offices of The Test People:

Floor 3
Albion Court
Albion Place
Leeds
West Yorkshire,
LS1 6JL

You will need to call Peter on 07763570860 for access, as we can't
hear the buzzer at the door.

About the Group

The West Yorkshire Python User Group (WYPy) have been meeting monthly
since 2007. Our meetings are free, and usually include at least one
talk, as well as a trip to the pub.

Our website is at http://wypy.org.uk . We discuss our meetings on the
Python Yorkshire and Humberside Google Group
http://groups.google.com/group/python-yorks-humber/ and you can also
follow us on Twitter at @WYPython.