[Wylug-discuss] Thos. W. Ward

Richard Ibbotson richard.ibbotson at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 27 22:43:33 UTC 2013

> > http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2002/sep/30/nationalunionofjournal
> > ists.mediaunions
> Interesting. Sounds like there were two cultures of computing. My
> brother didn't go to university to study computing but encountered
> them at the time you are describing and went straight on to work on
> IBM computers at Boots. He gave me the impression of working in a
> much more open environment than you experienced.

IBM seem to have always been different.  They were the first
multinational to take up the GPL by simply absorbing New York Linux
User's Group into their organisation.  Bit unusual but it worked. I
suppose that's New York state law and Federal law at work.  I've lived
in most parts of the United States.  Might be why I understand some of
it.

Myself and my brother have done extensive work in heavy engineering in
this country.  Power generation and safety law. We tend to find that
the duality of cultures that you mention is brought about by the UK
political system based around Parliament and the House of our Lords
and Ladies.  Which is ?  My back pocket is more important because I'm
a Member of Parliament.  Therefore.  Secrecy and the official secrets
act is much more important than anything else.  So, PRISM and GCHQ ?
My back pocket is full. But, yours is not.

All leads back to the ICL case in Manchester in the 1970's which most
people are not aware of.  I might try and suggest that Mark Ashton and
his father were correct.  In that they said that this contries
political leadeship is full of ******* arseholes.  But, that would be
polititically incorrect and possibly even criminal.  We might be
talking barrister stuff here ?

--
Richard