[Wylug-discuss] Thos. W. Ward

Richard Ibbotson richard.ibbotson at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 28 16:43:16 UTC 2013

On Friday 28 Jun 2013 17:39:18 John wrote:
> The whole ICL / Special Branch stuff is something I have never
> experienced even slightly.  As others have said, software was
> exchanged fairly freely (if awkwardly, as mag tape was a pain but
> better than paper tape etc!).  I can recall swapping source code in
> Fortran, C, Macro-11, Basic-Plus and even 8080 ASM.  Oh, and some
> Algols (mainly 60).

It's not something that you want to go anywhere near.  I only
experienced it because Ward's data was stolen.  I think that might
have been one of the earliest cases of data theft.  But, thanks to
this and other circumstances surrounding ICL at that time which was
mostly coming from Whitehall we were told that we were not allowed to
talk about it.  And, exchange software ?  Don't even try and mention
it.

I made the mistake of mentioning the static charge on the building to
someone from either ICL or Farnell or similar person in the building
one day.  He was a Dr. of Computing Sciences.  Big fat bloke.
Suffering with stroke and heart disease.  Drank and smoked a lot. Hired
in to sort out the problem of the boards exploding.  When I mentioned
that I knew it was the static charge I nearly had my teeth thumped out
and then he started screaming and swearing and shouting about throwing
me in prison permanently.  This was mostly average for what was going
on with ICL at that time.  Which is why they probably had a public
enquiry and closed down some parts of it.  Something to do with
bullying behaviour and a lot of things going missing.  Like data for
example.

--
Richard