[Wylug-discuss] Simple and reliable Ubuntu on Samsung Chromebook

Dave Fisher wylug-discuss at davefisher.co.uk
Sun Mar 3 17:53:06 UTC 2013

Hi,

Has anyone any experience of installing Ubuntu on Samsung Chromebooks?

I'm looking for a fairly simple and reliable method, within the
following parameters:

* Ideally, I'd like to give relatively non-techie students a
'standard' 2D unity environment
* I can't afford to take any substantial risk of bricking the device
* Not bothered about native vs. chroot vs. virtual
** Wiping ChromeOS is fine -- if restorable
** Unless there is severe performance loss
** Unless its difficult for students turn on the device and boot
straight into Ubuntu
* Easy/quick re-installation is fairly important
* Trivially easy updates and upgrades are important
* I really don't have time to learn and configure non-Ubuntu distros
-- except, perhaps, Debian
* I am thinking about the Samsung 5 Chromebook

Needless to say, googling reveals a plethora of different hacky (i.e.
unsuitable) methods, and few that look promising (but it's hard to
assess the brick-ability risk for).

Thanks,

Dave