[Wylug-discuss] Raspberry Pi

Paul Brook paul at nowt.org
Thu Nov 21 01:12:27 UTC 2013

> >> They are good, but I may have bought beaglebone for webserver if
> >> doing
> >> it again. If you have the money the udoo looks good, but at that
> >> price
> >> is it better to get a microserver?
> >
> > "microserver" is a sufficiently generic term that it's hard to say.
> > But there
> > are definitely an increasing number of alternatives to a Pi. The
> > beaglebone
> > black, and cubieboard being the examples that spring to mind.  For a
> > bit more
> > money (say £100) then there are many much more capable alternatives,
> > both Arm
> > and x86 based.
>
> Which ones do you recommend for the above price?

The Allwinner A10/A20 cpus have very impressive specs at low cost.  The
cubieboard is the only one I'm vaguely familiar with, with prices starting at
about the same as a Pi (£31), with the fully tricked out "cubietruck A20"
still coming in at under £60.

The BeagleBone is pretty good if you want lots of low-level IO (for hooking up
various kinds of electronics).  Though I still maintain that anyone interested
in playing with electronics and computer interfacing is best off starting with
an Arduino Uno/Leonardo.

You can get freescale imx6 SABE-Lite boards for about £100.  I've mostly
worked with the more expensive imx6 boards, but the main difference is a few
exotic A/V connectors that you almost certainly don't care about.

Some Marvell Arm based systems come into this price bracket (e.g. SheevaPlug).
However I wouldn't recommend the older ARMv5 systems at this point.  The newer
ARMv7 based chips may be worth considering, though I don't have any specific
examples.

On the Intel side there's plenty of choice. This is definitely the lowest risk
option as they're basically the same as any other PC.  In the past I've found
mini-itx.com to be as good a starting point as any.  The main thing I'd be
wary of is that many of the current Atom chipsets use the PowerVR (GMA500/600)
graphics which are not linux friendly. If you want something a bit more
powerful the AMD Fusion based boards might be worth a look.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head.  There are certainly
others.

Paul