[Wylug-discuss] Recommendations please: Ubuntu-compatible Cheapo laptop, no/few config hoops to jump

John Robert Hudson j.r.hudson at virginmedia.com
Wed Dec 23 22:01:50 UTC 2015

Hi Dave

I picked up a £200 Toshiba laptop a year ago and there appear to be similar
offers on other Toshiba laptops at present. I couldn't get UEFI to work (it
wouldn't allow efibootmgr to write the necessary stuff) but it has a
'compatibility mode' which means I can install and run stuff in legacy mode.

I've had no problem using the various features on it with Linux. I suggest you
wander round somewhere like Staples or PCWorld and look at what they have on
offer to see if they have what you need in the way of keys.

Also it wasn't hard to find a Toshiba manual for it online. So if you like the
look of a particular model, you can probably download its manual to check the
specs.

John