[Wylug-discuss] Linux program recommendaitons to replace windows programs

David Morris david at david-morris.co.uk
Tue Jul 28 15:40:31 UTC 2015

Hi All,

I was at the meetup last night at The Lord Darcy and it was good to see
Andy, Graham and Darren again and to hear what everyone has been up to
recently.

I've used Linux for a few years, but always on remote servers, using SSH
and the command line to run services and fiddle around. I've recently taken
the plunge to try Linux on my desktop and wanted to get some
recommendations on what programs I might use to replace my traditional
Windows programs.

So far the reccomendations from Andy and Graham have been:

MySQL GUI for remote maintenance, query building and monitoring:
Windows program I used: SQLYog
Linux program recommended: MySQL Workbench

Commander style GUI for file transfers over SSH:
Windows program I used: WinSCP
Linux program recommended: Filezilla

Text editor with syntax highlighting for PHP, Python and C++ coding:
Windows program I used: Sublime Text
Linux program recommended: Vim

Remote control software to remotely manage my parents computer (which I
will be replacing with Linux)
Windows program I used: TeamViewer
Linux program recommended: TeamViewer

If anyone has recommendations for any of the above which they have
experience with please let me know!

Thanks,

David