[Wylug-discuss] Technical enlightenment request

Graham Whaley graham.whaley at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 09:46:25 UTC 2015

Ah, I think I see the confusion here....
 I was talking about 'power over ether' - where you send power over a
network cable.
 I think what you have is 'ether over power' - where you send ethernet
over a power cable - sort of the complete opposite :-)
 What you have are often called 'powerline adapters' I think. I have
some of those so I can run my printer up in the loft without having to
find a way to run an extra cable 3 floors.
The technology of powerline adapters seems to be ever improving. Mine
are probably 2 years old and have been rock solid on reliability, but
I never test them on their bandwidth capability.
Nicely, there are powerline adapter standards, and these days I think
most of the brands will probably work together OK. But, I would
suspect the 'network' of them will run at the speed of the slowest
one. If you are having bandwidth issues you may want to look at what
the current ones speed ratings are (normally measured in megabits/s).
Top whack used to be 150mbps, but now I see 500mbps advertised.

You could probably do a quick test of how well they are actually
working by timing a large transfer to your NAS to give you a feel for
actual speed as well?

 Graham