[Wylug-discuss] Monthly meeting on Mon 29th June

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 23 15:42:43 UTC 2015

On 23/06/2015 08:27, Martin Rowe wrote:
> Anne, Virtualbox 5 is in RC status at present, and the USB support
> has been extended quite a bit. They finally support USB3 so my Ubuntu
> VM can finally see the web cam and devices plugged into the USB3 only
> ports on my laptop. It might be worth a download to try it out.

Sounds worth a try, thanks.  To be honest, I've not really looked far
enough into VBox on the subject of getting VMs to talk to my NAS, but if
the dongle was recognised it would be worth while doing that.

> I have a few bits of software that are Windows only, which prompted
> the purchase of a Windows 8 based machine (the laptop mentioned
> above) - my first since a pre-XP Windows 2000 laptop. Other than that
> everything at home is still Linux based, and most of my work stuff is
> done on Linux with a Windows VM for some tasks. My main gripe is down
> to my memory (grey matter rather than RAM) not remembering stuff that
> used to be second nature, as so much stuff just works, and I don't
> have to tinker with things anything like as much as I used to. Linux
> must have improved, as both teenage kids use it in preference to
> Windows.

Hehe - you can fight it out with my daughter and myself in the queue for
a memory implant, should they become available - much more useful than
smart watches :-)

Anne