[Wylug-discuss] BBC speeds up TCP video streaming on Linux (paraphrase)

Rob Speed Rob.Speed at bbc.co.uk
Thu Oct 15 15:31:16 UTC 2015

It's actually the boys and girls three floors up from me in R+D.
I spoke to Stuart, and he's explained a little more:

"In answer to the question, I'm sure all three factors contribute to the performance gains. Instead of passing packets through the kernel stack, one by one, and copying all the payload data from user buffers to kernel buffers, we make a single call that switches maybe 500 packets from being under app ownership to driver ownership in situ - the data never moves. The kernel overhead per packet drops to near zero. Note that, despite the mention of TCP in The Register, we are working with RTP streams over UDP - no TCP involved.

We use netmap as the underlying technology, with various extra bits bolted on to suit our particular requirements. If you follow the links from the netmap project page, you can find a lot of interesting analysis and discussion of the technique:

 http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/netmap/#a5c3

"

HTH
R.