[Wylug-discuss] Network outages, the wrong kind of snow

Andrew 'Leny' Lindley andrew at andrewlindley.co.uk
Wed Feb 3 20:39:57 UTC 2016

Yep, that's why I said '_guidline_ costs' and '_more_ reliable' rather
than 'reliable.'  Obviously a Five Nines link would cost quite a bit
more than a mere 2 or 3 hundred notes a month.  :) The question with
these things is usually 'How much will it cost you if the link goes
down?' and work backwards from there to the limit of the implied
budget and your imagination.

Consider the marginal cost to me of not being able to use Netflix for
part of ~three evenings a month and what it would cost in losses to a
cinema which was to stream a live sports event to a paying audience
in their theatres on one of those nights.

So yes, at least two different cable bundles in the road to two
different exchanges, plus 3/4G SIMs for whatever flavour of the 2.5
national mast networks there's signal for, plus, around here, line of
sight microwave to Emley Moor and satellite are all things you _might_
do if there was the budget.  But as an illustration that increased
reliability has noticable cost in home user terms I think the A&A page
I linked is good enough.

Leny