[Wylug-discuss] [MASSMAIL] Not wanting to start a distro war

Rob Speed Rob.Speed at bbc.co.uk
Thu Feb 18 12:41:58 UTC 2016

From: Wylug-discuss [wylug-discuss-bounces at wylug.org.uk] on behalf of Gary Stainburn [gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk]
Sent: 18 February 2016 09:44
To: wylug-discuss at wylug.org.uk
Subject: Re: [Wylug-discuss] [MASSMAIL] Not wanting to start a distro war

> Pretty much the same for me.  Getting married and inheriting 4 kids was the
> main reason I stopped coming :-)

Ahhh - we chose not to go down that route.
To paraphrase an Alien quote : There's space and you can't hear the screams.
Aside from the fans in the 'compter room' (tiny bedroom), it's peaceful.

> I used to always have a Nokia 6310 which were armour plated and bounced
> brilliantly.  I even drove over one

And the battery didn't go flat..... (sorry)

> I've just removed two 1U  P4 servers that I purchased back in August 2004.
> Because they were running Linux, they were still up to the job.  The only
> reason they've had to come out is that the fans have finally died and finding
> replacements was proving hard.  One of these has been replaced by - a Pi :-)

Yep - there were a few Dell 750's (P3's) that got removed last year and replaced with HP DL385 G8's
(Going from single core to 32 core's 'might' just have managed to keep things ticking over, and only a handful of Watts difference in terms of quoted power usage - amusingly...)

> At the time, I thought I was very retro when I did a fresh install of Windows
> 3.11Windows for Workgroups in 1998, even after Win98SE had been released.
> This was to enable us to connect our ICL Series39 mainframe to our PC network
> (or was it the other way round)
>
>Looking at how long Win95 hung around, that doesn't seem much now :-)

And you explain that to the kids these days and you get that glazed expression - shrug - all down to peoples' experiences. We'll probably glaze over at the mention of "The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus" (it's apparently a popular beat combo m'lud).

> I still have a number of internal boxes running Fedora 9 perfectly happily.
> After F9, Samba authentication no longer supported "security = share" which
> stuffed up pretty much most of my fileshares

Ouch.

> Unfortunately, over the years Linux has gone the way of the bloatware.  I
> still think it is more tollerant than MS and will run on smaller kit, but not
> the same as it used to be.

Yep - agreed.

> I know you can still strip it down to reduce the load, which is something you
> can't do with Windows.

> There are exceptions of course, such as TinyCore, and Raspbian but I don't
> think we can class them the same as full desktop/server type distro.

> Rob, I've just spotted that as of 9th Feb there's a new Jesse image available

> https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian_latest

> It has some of the update pre-applied.

Yeah, we're using it on the new builds and the crews are progressively updating their Pi's.
It's not such a massive deal for the dashboard Pi updates as they automagically cron at N o'clock in the morning and reboot anyway.
Yes, I know, I know - rebooting a Linux box on a daily basis, but we found that running the Pi's at 4K and overclocking led to the occasional hanging, but daily reboots sorted that (sorry, it's back to the 'doze era I know...)

R.

http://www.bbc.co.uk
If you have received it in
Do not use, copy or disclose the