[Wylug-discuss] Wylug Nostalgia (Was: Not wanting to start a distro war)

Jim Jackson jj at franjam.org.uk
Thu Feb 18 22:45:05 UTC 2016

On Thu, 18 Feb 2016, Rob Speed wrote:

> > Someone asked about old kit still running linux. I've got a 386DX board,
> > with the maths co-processor chip, and 16Mbytes of ram, with an old debian
> > distro on which worked fine a few years ago. Must try booting it - It
> > reported 7.94 BogoMIPS! About 500 times slower most desktops nowadays. I'll
> > also have to try and find the media converter to convert to co-ax ethernet
> > so I can get it on the network - it only has a 10Mb co-ax ethernet adapter.
>
> If it's an ISA bus, I 'might' have a 10-T interface in an old box stuck
> in a cupboard you can have.

It's ok - I've probably got one somewhere too. But I like playing with coax
cable and making the damn stuff actually work :-) It's called nostalgia
(actually it's called masochism) and I've got 10base2 running round bits of
the house and garage still in parallel with the twisted pair stuff.

cheers
Jim