[Wylug-discuss] Nutcase Attached Storage

Graham Whaley graham.whaley at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 09:15:55 UTC 2016

On 2 June 2016 at 17:28, Darren Menachem Drapkin via Wylug-discuss
<wylug-discuss at wylug.org.uk> wrote:
> Earlier today I saw what was advertised as a NAS  for domestic use, in a
> computer shop. It cost around £150 and had only 2Tbytes of storage. Now call
> me dyslexic, but that works out, for a family of 4, at only 500Gbytes each,
> about what I would expect from a mid-range laptop. Hardly NAS sized is it,
> not at that price anyway.

For a highstreet shop that might be about the going price for 2Tbytes?
I've been vaguely eyeing up the Western Digital My Cloud devices for a
year or so - they seem to be value for money, and 2T weighs in about
£110 right now I think. Given a naked 2T NAS drive starts at ~£70,
that doesn't seem too terrible.

Speaking of which - we have discussed a number of times folks using
OwnCloud (I've been considering sticking it in a VM or container on my
NUC for instance as a home 24-7 place to collect up photos, docs
etc.). I see in the news that the OwnCloud company has 'forked', there
is now 'NextCloud', and it seems OwnCloud US will have to close its
doors, whilst the one in Germany I think will remain open, at the
moment.
 It seems the fork/split may have come about, at least in part, from
differences wrt open source etc.

http://blog.jospoortvliet.com/2016/06/nextcloud-is-replacing-owncloud.html

Looks like I'll be trying NextCloud at some point then.

(oh, and yes Darren, I suspect any teenager these days is going to
blow a 500Mbyte cap pretty quick given the ubiquity of photos and
videos now - music, pah, that is pretty small. I can fit most of my
collection on a USB stick these days ;-)

 Graham