[Wylug-discuss] Wylug-discuss Digest, Vol 131, Issue 4

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Tue Jun 7 13:34:56 UTC 2016

Andrew Glass via Wylug-discuss writes:

> Seems easy enough to me?
>
> Theres a bus every 30 mins in each direction from outside the pub?

Yep, but unless you live in the city centre, you probably have to get a
different bus/train into the centre first before getting the 36 out
again. And unless you're supremely lucky in how they match up, that
could be something like 10 min to walk across the city centre and then
20 min to wait for the next 36, so adding an hour to hour journey, each
way.

And the 36 is run by Transdev, who don't operate many other routes in
Leeds, so you're likely to end up travelling by different transport
companies and shelling out for two incompatible tickets.

Whereas most places have convenient transport into the city centre.

For instance, last year I was living in Moortown (near the library, by
Netto and Sainsbury's), which looks to be the right bit of Leeds for The
Lord Darcy — it's a mere 4–minute drive away. But that becomes a
28–minute walk, and buses don't really help cos buses mostly don't cut
across between different radial routes from the city centre, and getting
two buses takes even longer.

So, even though it's much farther away, Leeds centre would still have
been more convenient to get to.

> Plus theres free parking at the Lord Darcy for everyone who drives?

Even people who drive are allowed to catch buses!

> Yet often when people say they will attend they don’t bother to turn
> up.

Sorry for my non-attendance lately. I was actually planning on walking
to a Lord Darcy meeting one evening I happened to be free ... but then
it snowed and I wussed out.

Smylers
--
http://twitter.com/Smylers2