[Wylug-discuss] I think I've borked the web site

John Leach john at johnleach.co.uk
Mon Aug 28 17:00:57 UTC 2017

On Sun, 2017-08-27 at 17:56 +0100, Darren Menachem Drapkin via Wylug-
discuss wrote:
> I was going to have a go at updating the wordpress web site, but I my
> password
> is not good enough to  update the server software. Or some other
> sever
> sillyness has happened.
> The upshot of this is that it seems to be impossible to log on and
> update web
> content on it.
> I hasten to add that it is not the meetups site that is giving me
> gip. It is
> www.wylug.org.uk that we have had for years, that seems to be up the
> swannee.

Hi Darren,

wylug.org.uk runs on a server I manage and it's locked down pretty
strictly, which prevents most wordpress update processes from working.

I've manually updated wordpress and the plugins now, via my ssh access.

I've started moving wordpress installations off this server elsewhere,
where they can do automatic updates so I'll get that sorted for WYLUG
soon! Sorry for the inconvenience.

I couldn't see a problem with updating web content, but it might have
been transient and was fixed by the time I saw it today. Try now and
let me know if you still have problems.

Feel free to email me directly with problems related to this in future
(I'm happy for the discussion being public but I see direct emails
before I see ones to the wylug discuss list).

Thanks,

John.