[Wylug-discuss] Laptop purchasing experience

james riley jimr1603 at gmail.com
Mon May 7 13:11:32 UTC 2018

Hi all

I know I'm not very active, in fact I've never met y'all face to face
(anxiety will do that to a guy), but I hang out on the list.

My old laptop died, and I wanted something 100% compatible with GNU/Linux.
Partially ideologically, partially because proprietary drivers never "just
work". (Looking at you, dead ee pc.)

Long story short, I bought from http://minifree.org/ and definitely
recommend them. Good customer service, good communication, good after
support. Prices are quoted in Euros, but your best best in the UK is a BACS
transfer in £. Laptop works out of the box with Libreboot and Trisquel, and
Trisquel is very fussy about Free drivers.

If you're not looking for laptop recommendations, the founder of MiniFree
is also big in Libreboot, and is fundraising for her gender reassignment
surgery - https://vimuser.org/surgery/

Finally, I'm not peeling all the stickers off my old laptop. Does anyone
have any spare interesting FOSS-related stickers, or CC or any of the sort
of thing someone who posts to this list might put on a laptop case?
Recommendations for cheap sticker packs also appreciated. I've definitely
used up my FSF joining pack of stickers.

--James Riley