[Wylug-help] HP2000C Printer

JEFFERY JEFFERY
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 11:39:31 +0200

The printer is connected directly to the Linux box.
What I want to be able to do is send graphics to the
printer and have them come out correctly.

Stuart.

-----Original Message-----
From: Wills [mailto:wills@vspuse3.vws.co.uk]
Sent: 01 August 2000 19:10
To: WYLUG Help List
Subject: Re: [Wylug-help] HP2000C Printer

> From: "JEFFERY, Stuart" <Stuart.JEFFERY@eur.crowncork.com>
> I'm trying to setup a Hewlett Packard 2000C printer under Redhat 6.2.
> I can't find any drivers for this printer. I have looked on the HP site
> but cannot find anything.
>
> Has anyone had any luck in setting up this printer to produce anything
> other than plain text?

  Is it on the network, or attached directly to the machine? I can
tell of the former class of HP printer - ours is an HP LaserJet
(JetDirect) 4050N, which I recently determined an /etc/printcap entry
for.

  Relevant bit of Printing HOWTO (which I commented into my
printcap for future reference):

#'  # hp or other ethernet printer
#'  lj-5|remote-hplj:\
#'          :lp=/dev/null:sh:\
#'          :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lj-5:\
#'          :rm=printer.name.com:rp=raw:

  where printer name "rp=raw" causes DOS text files to print sanely
via lpr.

  "rp=text" causes lpr to send unix text and a2ps to send postscript
that prints sanely.

  The printer was capable of spitting out a test page with the IP
address it had "allocated for itself" (if that sounds a bit assertive
of it, blame our Network Admin - he said it) on.

Anecdotally - HTH,
	Wills