[Wylug-help] MySQL/ODBC on slow nets

GaryStainburngary.stainburn@ringways.co.uk GaryStainburngary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 13:56:20 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From:	Mike Banahan [SMTP:mikeb@gbdirect.co.uk]
Sent:	Wednesday, August 02, 2000 1:04 PM
To:	wylug-help@wylug.org.uk
Subject:	[Wylug-help] MySQL/ODBC on slow nets

>I wonder if anyone has experience of running MySQL or ODBC
>queries over relatively slow (WAN) links? Is it possible to get
>good performance with a link that will only do 256K or less;
>my hunch is that you would have to be lucky to do much over
>that but it would be nice if someone can say otherwise.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Mike
Hi Mike,

I can't offer any experience at the moment, but I'm in the process of
porting a Delphi/Paradox system to a Delphi/ODBC/Postgresql system and
I will be testing it over our 128K link between Leeds and Doncaster.

B.T.W. the port itself was actually a doddle, I simply installed
PostOSBC, set up a user DSN and changed the Database name in the Delphi
Project.

I'm fairly late in the testing cycle at the moment, and should be going
live within the next 2 to 3 weeks.

If anyone else has any comments I'd be very interested in them,
otherwise I'll let you know how I get on when I go live.

Gary Stainburn.
Work: http://www.ringways.co.uk mailto:gary.stainburn@ringways.co.uk
REVCOM: http://www.revcom.org.uk mailto:gary.stainburn@revcom.org.uk
Murphy's Laws: (327) Build a system that even a fool can use, and only a fool will use it.