[Wylug-help] Thanks a lot ISA NIC WORKING FINALLY

Bentony@leedsnet.com Bentony at leedsnet.com
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 19:05:39 +0100

At 02:36 AM 7/8/00, Jose Antonio Aparicio Fern=E1ndez wrote:
>I am really happy. After more than two months and when I was going to buy=
=20
>some PCI cards I was finally able to make my ISA Kingston Kne20t NICs=20
>work. Now I have a linux net working.

There are NE2000 work-alike PCI cards, but I think that they have no=20
advantage over
ISA ones and have all the plug and play problems.

Obviously you can get faster PCI ethernet cards

>The principal problem with this ISA was the windows pnp that was activated=
=20
>by W98(Gates against linux again?). Another windows problem was the io=20
>address: it was not recognised by linux. I had to use an application to=20
>deactivate pnp and to change the io to 0x320 which is recognised by linux.=
=20
>Finally I did this /etc/conf.modules script
>
>alias eth0 ne
>options ne io=3D0x320 irq=3D10 bad=3D0xbad

I'm not sure that you need the 0xbad, it looks like a place holder.

Although it doesn't really matter if you have only one card; it is
generally considered to be a bad idea to probe for ethernet cards.

At the present time linux is happier with configuring cards using jumpers
(You can see what you are getting), but the world doesn't like this system;
so Windows (at long last) has some sort of plug and play. Windows should
be applauded for this. The next version of the kernel will do a better job
of recognising plug and play cards. Currently, one has to take as much care
over configuring these apparently simpler cards as with the 'cruder' ones.

In some cases this means running a program to initialise/read the PNP
settings and do a warm boot into linux.

>I also wrote to Kingston.com and they told me some information, but they=20
>don't have many linux experts: I think  many people in this list know more=
=20
>about linux than them. Thanks to all of them anyway.

Certainly we do, we are freaks. We have done it before, for ourselves and
each other. We are keen to keep older cards in operation, whereas
Kingston have different objectives.

Of course, if any manufacturers happen to read this or similar messages,
please be aware that as Intel have found, hardware manufacturers have an
interest in supporting linux and providing data fro open source drivers
(if not drivers themselves).

Ben.

--
Leedsnet - The information resource for Leeds and the West Riding
< URL:http://www.leedsnet.com/ >