[Wylug-help] no free space on non-full disk

MarkP.Conmympc@scs.leeds.ac.uk MarkP.Conmympc at scs.leeds.ac.uk
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 13:49:22 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, Mark P. Conmy wrote:

> > Hi all.
> >
> > I've got a problem.
> > I've got a partition shown 0 bytes available and 100% used even though
> > size - Used = 32MB.
> >
> > If I delete files, the Used value goes down, but the Available does not
> > go up.
> >
> > Has anyone got any ideas?
> >
> > Here's a df -k output
> >
> > Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> > /dev/hda5               738104    705592         0 100% /
> > /dev/hda1                16556      2647     13054  17% /boot
>
> The system reserves space for root/system use.  A *full* disk is more than
> 100% full. ;-)
>
> The amount reserved can be tweaked.
>
> Offhand, I can't remember the runes.  Will look.

Looks like the '-m' flag will work with tune2fs*:

       -m reserved-blocks-percentage
              adjust  the reserved blocks percentage on the given
              device.

or (when building filesystems) with mke2fs:

       -m reserved-blocks-percentage
              Specify the percentage of reserved blocks  for  the
              super-user.  This value defaults to 5%.

* N.B. tune2fs has the sage advice:

       Never use tune2fs to change  parameters  of  a  read/write
       mounted filesystem!

Mark