[Wylug-help] Vmware

Willswills@vspuse3.vws.co.uk Willswills at vspuse3.vws.co.uk
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 12:22:44 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Andrew Johnson wrote:
> no matter how I try and install windows 95 or
> 98 under vmware, it gets part way through the install (just after
> checking disk space in 95 or select installation type in 98) and
> crashes.
>
> Anyone any ideas??

  ...other avenues? I've been playing with the v2000_0325a Bochs PC
Emulator (which underlies parts of plex86/freemware) in lieu of a
VMWare license and because I can't get plex86 to compile. Bochs
(as in "box") is good enough to road-test my Linux boot floppies and
claims to be Win9x+ friendly.

  Now, I've got win3.11fw that I've tried on it, and it would seem
that the install is troubled somewhat when FreeDOS sits underneath
(the install floppy needs a DOS to run). I'd like to try DR-DOS lite,
but the floppies come out of the download a weird size. Conclusion:
having MS-DOS is practically imperative in this sitch.

  ...and since I've mentioned it, said win3.11 hangs on startup
(Bochs' mouse emulation doesn't seem stable so I've told win3.11 it
doesn't have a mouse, ooer). But then Bochs never claimed to have had
people run win3.x on it. I suppose I could drag out the win3.0 disks
I acquired once upon a time and try them... ;)

Anecdotally,
	Wills.