[Wylug-help] FreeBSD and MySQL

Frank Shute Frank Shute <frank at esperance-linux.co.uk>
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 09:19:08 +0000

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 10:16:40AM +0000, Gary Stainburn wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm a confirmed Linux and PostgreSQL man and I'm quite happy with this.  I can
> manage fairly complex (for me anyway) data models using views, referential
> checks and look-ups, left/right inner/outer joins etc.

Mike's covered that angle.

> However, I've got a feeling that I'm going to get volunteered to develop an
> app on a hosted box running only MySQL on FreeBSD.
>
> I'm imagining that the Perl and PHP stuff  will be pretty much portable, but
> can anyone think of any pitfalls or gochas that I may come up against.

With regards it being on FreeBSD v Linux there shouldn't be any
noticeable differences. My site's hosted on Linux but I do the
MySQL/PHP development on FreeBSD.

www.gradwell.net run FreeBSD & you can use either MySQL or PostgreSQL,
I think - if that's any use to you.

Not too sure if you are doing any of the system administration from
your description but if you need to & get stuck give me a shout.

--

 Frank

   Boroughbridge.
 Tel: 01423 323019