[Wylug-help] Providing public access web-browsers

Phil Driscoll phil at dialsolutions.co.uk
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 17:53:43 +0000

On Friday 01 November 2002 3:05 pm, Jason Lander wrote:
> I have been given the `interesting' task of providing terminals at which
> where students can check the University webmail service.
>
> The total budget for this project is approximately nothing so The service
> will be provided by 2 6-years old PCs with 64Mb RAM. This should be more
> than enough for a minimal Linux install, X and a web browser.

We have found Galeon to be the best bet in a low resource environment (LTSP in
our case).

I don't know if you can stop the punters changing the proxy address, but you
can at least configure the network so that there is no route to anywhere
other than a transparent proxy server.

You can copy in a good set of config files for Galeon each time you run it so
that if anyone messes around with the condfig, a quit and restart will fix
things.

> * Stop anyone changing the web proxy settings
> * Stop the use of file::/// URLs
Galeon gives you the option on whther or not to support these when you
install.

> while providing a browser with
>
> * Javascript and https support
> * the ability to view `HTML' aimed at IE or Netscape

It does pretty well at all this stuff.

Cheers
--
Phil Driscoll