[Wylug-help] ADSL interfaces for Linux

Philip Wyett philipwyett at dsl.pipex.com
05 Nov 2002 12:58:57 +0000

--
On Tue, 2002-11-05 at 12:20, Daniel Walker wrote:

> On Tuesday 05 Nov 2002 11:08, David Pashley wrote:
> > > modem (which ones work reliably?), or a ethernet ADSL box which provi=
des
> > > a bridged or eoppp type link rather than a NATed network.   Only one =
box
> > > needs to connect to the ADSL (since that box is going to be the gatew=
ay
> > > for anything else).
> >
> > One thing I can not stress enough, is to not get the serive from BT
> > OpenWorld. Use an ISP with a clue.
> Seconded. And not Pipex, either. They never answer the phone, AFAICT.

Hi,

3+ months ago you could expect to be waiting for an hour+ to be answered
by Pipex. However that is no longer the case, you get answered quicker
(between 2 rings and 10 mins usually) but still end up with a moron who
blames either BT for everything or tries to get you to re-install your
DSL modem drivers. Hey, but thats tech support staff for ya. :)

Pipex have a shakey record, but things seems to be improving on the
connection and support side. Here in Bradford we haven't had a DSL
connection failure in at least 8 months. Don't get any weird disconnects
or other querks which I put down to idiots trying to tweak MTU and RWIN
settings etc. for an extra 20kbps. :( The speed is always good and tops
out the max speed 9 times out of 10.

One problem Pipex do have is their handling of spam, it took me a month
for Red Hat too unblock the dsl.pipex.com domain from being bounced due
to spam from Pipex customers and Pipex's lack of response to Red Hats
contacts. I was warned, if the spam happens again Red Hat will again
block mails until Pipex respond in writing as to what they will do about
spammers - A pain in the ass, but I can't blame Red Hat for their stance
here.

On the hardware front. The self install DSL packages can come with
varying modems types. 1. Alcatel Frog USB. Good on Windows, pain in the
ass on Linux. 2. Fujitsu PCI DSL modem. Shit - Need I say more? :) I
personally use the DLink 504 DSL modem/4 port router now. Works a treat
and offers both NAT or static, firewall, port forwarding and other
options in it's firmware to do whatever you want.

The Dlink 504 - =C2=A393 from http://www.cclcomputers.co.uk (Bradford).

Pipex ain't bad, well I have been on the service now for 18 months and
have no plans to move to another ISP. :)

Regards

Philip Wyett

--

AIM: PhilipWyett