[Wylug-help] ADSL interfaces for Linux

dave dave at whipy.demon.co.uk
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 16:17:58 -0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nigel Metheringham" <Nigel.Metheringham@dev.InTechnology.co.uk>
To: <wylug-help@wylug.org.uk>
Sent: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 10:11 AM
Subject: [Wylug-help] ADSL interfaces for Linux

> Looks like I'm going to be moving away from the wonders of NTL cable
> service and to the unimagined horrors of BT ADSL.
>
> Have people got any recommendations - or references to commentries on -
> ADSL connectivity for use with Linux.
>
> I specifically require that the Linux box is directly on the internet
> and not NATed off from it - so that means it either needs a USB type
> modem (which ones work reliably?), or a ethernet ADSL box which provides
> a bridged or eoppp type link rather than a NATed network.   Only one box
> needs to connect to the ADSL (since that box is going to be the gateway
> for anything else).

Iv'e been using demon adsl for about 8 months
maybe unlike pipex there is a =A350 setup fee
and its =A324.99 a month
there a good isp and have been in the isp market long before bt
it offers a 512kbs down and 256kbs up  at this price but if you realy want
thay can fit upto an 8mbs conection but its out of my price at present
you get unlimited pop3 email     whatever-you-want@<your-domain>.demon.co.u=
seting up in linux souldent be too bad
im using an alcatel speedtuch router/adsl modem from www.dslsource.co.uk
works fine

better than a dial up
ive used a number of isp's before but demon have the best service

AD....