[Wylug-help] Laptop Choice

Roger Leigh roger at whinlatter.uklinux.net
13 Nov 2002 23:20:37 +0000

James Holden <james@microcosmos.co.uk> writes:

> Dave Whiteley wrote:
>
> >I am looking to buy myself a laptop to run Linux. As it is _my_ money,
> >price and usefullness is more important than speed.
> >
> >I am replacing a 48Mb 2Gb 66Mhz machine that is doing good service for
> >me, except that the Disk is too small and the display is 800x600 only.
> >
> >Ethernet is important, so pcmcia or built in an advantage.
> >

> IBM Thinkpads have been an excellent bet for a while now. My 600X,
> although 3 years old, is fully supported (P3-500, 384MB, 11GB, DVD) even
> the modem. The build quality is fantastic too. A colleague of mine just
> bought a Dell Inspiron and it just seems very flimsy by comparison.

Sorry to butt in, but I'm also looking for a similar machine.  I've
been using a Thinkpad at work for the last few weeks, and I've grown
to like it.  I'm looking to something I can use for networking
(testing software), software development, and taking away on holiday,
to LUGs, etc.

Are there any reputable places to buy a second-hand Thinkpad of a
similar spec to yours?  I don't want to buy new because I don't want
to be too worried about theft or damage, and I don't need a bang
up-to-date machine.  I'd like to know I was buying a machine in good
working order, though.

Thanks,
Roger

--
Roger Leigh
                "Liberty and Livelihood" - Support the Countryside Alliance