[Wylug-help] Networking Linux PCs

John Swann jswann55 at hotmail.com
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 15:36:19 +0000

Hi,

A bit of experienced advice please.

i have a Linux server (SME) which happily sets up to my Win2000 PC using
Samba. However I want to use Linux instead of Win2K.

I have setup RedHat an this works OK as a workstation, but it won't readily
connect to the SME server. I could try fixed IP but prefer to retain DHCP
(used by Samba).

I believe I could use NFS but have been told this is not secure or flexible.
I'm sure I've heard that there is a Samba client for Linux - would this be
the best option or is there a 'true' Linux client ?

On another point I'm currently using RH V8, but it appears buggy, is this
common my old RH V7.3 was more stable?

TIA

John