[Wylug-help] Networking Linux PCs

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 11:29:18 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, David Pashley wrote:

> > > Installing from a firewire CDROM onto a laptop with new graphics and
> > > sound yet installing fine with no intervention is where I suspect
> > > debian + BSD would suffer.
> >
> If you use the 6 floppies, shouldn't cause too much problems to get the CD
> working in debian installer.

But that's what I mean.  Not too much effort, compared with RedHat works first
time, and Mandrake 'here's a list of modules you might need'.  Not that is a
slur against mandrake as the list was about 200 strong.

> Debian installed pcmcia during setup and dumps it after install if it isn;t
> needed. You get the option of loading additional modules during the install.
> Useful if you have a floppy drive and a pcmcia CD.

Same with RedHat from what I've seen.

> I won't go into linuxconf.

;)

> Please don't confuse dpkg with apt. There is little to choose between dpkg
> and rpm, apart from rpm allows file dependancies. apt works well with both
> dpkg and rpm as connectiva have shown.

Can't dpkg also support 'optional' dependencies, so you can see what packages
it would like to have installed but doesn't need.

> Ask people who look after many servers and ask if they want to be upgrading
> them every 4 months.

True, but then ask the same people if they're using the latest versions of
RedHat.  Running something like Redhat 7.2 gives you pretty good stability.

> > > I'm a RedHat 8.0 user at the moment, and I haven't found any bugs that
> > > would seriously hamper a newbie.
> >
> > Crikey, they've finally got around to fixing backspace in termcap!

;)

Far less show-stoppers than I've seen with previous RedHats, and nothing
compared with Mandrake 8.x/9.0

jh

--
"Nothing is more dangerous than an idea, when you only have one idea."
                                                     -- Alain