[Wylug-help] FTP Proxy Server

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.InTechnology.co.uk
16 Oct 2002 17:16:35 +0100

On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 16:34, David Pashley wrote:
> Rumour has it that squid will work as an ftp proxy, but I've never tried it.
> It may also be a bit of an overkill for just ftp proxying.

That would surprise me somewhat - squid can act as a proxy for web stuff
that wants ftp, but it speaks http only (and not ftp) on the "inside" of
the proxy.

If you want this for going through a firewall, then both the 2.2 kernel
ipchains systems, and the 2.4 kernel iptables can fully support ftp
handling through a NATed connection - the iptables will do pretty
sophisticated connection tracking stuff too.

However without a little more context as to what form of proxy you want
its difficult to comment further.

	Nigel.
--
[ Nigel Metheringham           Nigel.Metheringham@InTechnology.co.uk ]