[Wylug-help] FTP Proxy Server

James Holden james at microcosmos.co.uk
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 13:20:05 +0100

David Pashley wrote:

>On Wednesday 16 October 2002 3:48 pm, Darren Watson wrote:
>

>>Hi
>>
>>Can anyone recommend a reliable ftp proxy server? Ideally it would be able
>>to support the same functions as winproxy. It needs to be able to work with
>>Windows FTP clients such as SW-FTP Pro.
>>
>>Many Thanks
>>
>>Darren
>>

>Rumour has it that squid will work as an ftp proxy, but I've never tried it.
>It may also be a bit of an overkill for just ftp proxying.
>
>[snip]

Squid won't work as an ftp proxy in the way being asking for here. It'll
proxy ftp get requests from web browsers, but that's about it. It most
specifically will *not* work with software such as WS-FTP. You might
look into a Socks server though. I haven't any experience with Socks
though. Also, I have a suspicion that wu-ftpd will do proxying, but I
might be mistaken. Any reason why you can't use some form of NAT and set
the clients to use passive mode?

James