[Wylug-help] vicious circular symlinks stop su (and a lot more)

Andrew Teal A.Teal at hud.ac.uk
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 12:54:19 +0100

Hello, I've had no response to previous messages -- does no-one know where I
should start?

The critical error is

su: error while loading shared libraries: libpam.so.0: cannot open shared
object file: Error 40

I've found that /lib/libpam.so.0 is a symbolic link to itself; I can't
delete it because I can't su to root.

AFAIK RedHat update created it. It also created (in the same directory) four
versions of libpam.so.0.75 ** and four more self-referencing symlinks:
libpam.so;3da73808 --> /lib/libpam.so;3da73808

** (each suffixed ;3da73808 or similar -- the ; stops me doing diff, but
they're the same size as the original).

Grateful for any pointers as to how to proceed ...

  Andrew Teal         Information Technologist
  School of Human & Health Sciences
  HW1/05, University of Huddersfield,
  Queensgate, Huddersfield, HD1 3DH
<a.teal@hud.ac.uk>       Tel: 01484 473674