[Wylug-help] XP shares and Samba Problem

Edward Chapman edwardchapman at mochamail.com
Sat, 26 Apr 2003 10:11:25 +0100

Hi All,

I wondered if anyone here might have any ideas on this.  Tried posting
this to comp.protocols.smb this week but so far no solution.  Hope this
post is not too long but I've tried to include all relevant info.

I've been running Samba as a PDC on RedHat 8.0 since December and it's
worked wonderfully with a private network of mostly w98 clients, 6 W2K
clients and 1 Windows XP client.

Over the weekend I upgraded Samba for the first time to the latest RPM
package 2.2.7-5.8.0, and also upgraded the kernel on the RH server to
2.4.18-27.8.0.  I previously had compiled Samba from source in December.

All the client machines including Windows 2000 & 98 work fine as before
but now the Windows XP client won't allow connections to its shares from
other Win98 clients, it just throws up the box which says "You must
supply a password..." when you double click on the XP machine from
Netwok Neighbourhood.  We need to access a shared printer connected to
this WinXP machine.  Other than that the WinXP machine works fine, we
can still log onto the domain from it and access shares from it, list
the users in the domain, etc..  Before the upgrade we could access the
shares on this client without any problems.

I tried enabling the guest account on the Win XP client and making sure
'guest' is not specified as an account that can't connect to the machine
in the Security Policies section.  However, the problem remains.

Also, none of the Samba logs (neither of the clients' logs or the main
logs) nor the XP Event Logs have anything to say about the failed
connections.

Has anybody else experienced anything similar or have any suggestions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this printer is shared by one
of the top bosses who can't print since this upgrade! :)  I don't want
to move the printer to another workstation either for office political
reasons!

Here's the global section of smb.conf, which is largely unchanged, I've
just added the socket options:

[global]

netbios name = ****
workgroup = ***********
server string = **********
hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 127.
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
os level = 64
preferred master = yes
guest account = ftp
domain master = yes
local master = yes
enhanced browsing = yes
wins support = yes
remote announce = 192.168.2.255
security = user
hide local users = no
encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd domain logons = yes
admin users = user1 user2 user3
domain admin group = @group
logon script = login.bat
logon path = \\%N\profiles\%u
logon home = \\%L\%U\.profiles
add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 100 -s /bin/false -M %u