[Wylug-help] Readonly option in hdparm

Thomas, Nicholas nick.thomas at eldon.co.uk
Tue Aug 5 15:31:14 BST 2003

Looks like it is more involved than I imagined.

Disabling pin23 ( IOW ) will stop all write commands, including those which
are used to set read addresses etc, making the
disk unuseable.
There appears to be a password protect command in the ATA spec, but once set
then you cannot do either reads or writes, :(

This $500 dongle seems to do what I want (but not at the price I want).
http://www.logicube.com/products/accessories/desktopwriteprotect.asp
<http://www.logicube.com/products/accessories/desktopwriteprotect.asp>

The suggestion to burn a CDROM with my disk image seems promising, but I
need the filesystems on my partitions to be XFS.
Can I get XFS filesystems onto a CD?

Regards

Nick

_________________________