[Wylug-help] ReiserFS slow copy

Jim Jackson jj at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Thu Aug 14 12:33:56 BST 2003

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, Dan Walker wrote:

> I've got a reiserFS server drive which I was copying (using 'cp -ax', I'm
> afraid) to another Reiser drive, and while it was copying a directory with
> several thousand directories containing many small files each the amount of
> data it was copying was abysmally slow - like, about 1 meg a minute.  I
> understand reiserfs is excellent for lots of small files so I'm at a loss to
> explain it to the boss who now wants an NT server after seeing this 10 hour
> copy operation. It was hitting 1 Gig a minute in other areas of the drive.

I can't imagine it's the reading of the small files of that's slowing it
down, otherwise ReiserFS would have a bad reputation. So is it the
writing, or something in cp's directory walking? Have you tried tar'ing up
the osurce directyory and see it is quick? Then untar the tar ball? That
would point to it being the read or the write thats slow. If both go fast
then it's obvious a cp problem.

Jim