[Wylug-help] Problem with Samba and w2k

Matthew Palmer mjp16 at ieee.uow.edu.au
Sun Aug 17 00:50:34 BST 2003

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, Andrew J Foster wrote:

> Mine works ok, but there are about a dozen or so machines (all the other)
> who have to wait up to 5 mins even to view a directory on a Samba shared
> drive. I wonder if there are more services I should add to networking on the

DNS.  Do the other machines have valid (or at least null) reverse DNS
entries?  Do they have the correct settings for WINS and DNS servers?  Do
the DNS servers they're pointing at know about your network (I'm thinking
private network here).  Does the server have an appropriate DNS entry?

Long delays in service are, almost universally, due to DNS problems.  Make
sure your DNS is watertight.

- Matt