[Wylug-help] Creating a bootable hard drive?

Thomas, Nicholas nick.thomas at eldon.co.uk
Wed Aug 27 13:40:11 BST 2003

I know this shouldn't be too hard, and I am sorry if this has been asked
before, but...

I have a working Linux PC based on RedHat 6.2 distro.
Now, I also have a hard drive as a secondary master (/dev/hdc) and I want to
make it bootable so that I can take it (secondary master) out of my
PC, put it into another PC and let it boot as normal.

I already have the root partition and all the usual stuff required by init
etc, all I need to do is somehow run lilo on it.

The problem is that I cannot seem to run lilo on the /dev/hdc disk without
messing something up.

I have tried to mount the root partition and boot partition of the secondary
drive and run lilo like this:
prompt> chroot /mnt/temp /sbin/lilo -v
And it appears to update the MBR of the /dev/hdc disk, but when I try to
boot it I get "L 01 01 01 01 01".

I have messed with various combinations of boot= and disk= in the lilo.conf
and cannot get it to work. I usually screw up the
MBR on my primary linux disk.

I can repair the MBR of my main Linux disk using Toms Rescue Disk because I
use ext2 file system, but I cannot do the same trick on my secondary disk
because I have to use the XFS file system. I cannot get Toms Rescue Disk to
support XFS file system (kernel too big).

Does anyone have any experience at this?

Any ideas appreciated.

I am hoping that all I need to do is have a correct lilo.conf file.

Regards

Nick

_________________________
Nick Thomas