[Wylug-help] SuSE 8.1

Daniel Walker danielwalker at fastmail.fm
Mon Dec 1 09:53:46 GMT 2003

Paul Grenyer wrote:
> I'll check that out. £20 isn't too bad.
>

>> and it's
>>also been on the front of a magazine (Linux Format, IIRC) fairly recently.
>

> I subscribe to Linux Format and it was the Suse "Live Evaluation" CD.

My informant shall be shot immediately.

>> I will recommend Apt4rpm with Suse; I've found it to be a great
>>improvement, although as Phil pointed out the Online Update is much
>>better from 8.2 on. Apt is especially good for stuff like MPlayer that
>>doesn't have official SuSE packages. Theoretically, you should be able
>>to do an apt-get dist-upgrade from 8.1 to 9.0 - but I haven't tried that.
>

> So Apt4rpm  is an auto-update tool?

It is if you set apt-get upgrade as a cron-job, yes! :-)

Looking at the description, I'm not sure I'd describe it as automatic
for upgrading from (say) 8.2 to 9.0 as it looks like a bit of a hassle -
however you can do it over ssh which is largely impossible with YoU.

Dan