[Wylug-help] Ethernet Type Codes for IPSEC

Daniel Walker danielwalker at fastmail.fm
Tue Dec 2 10:59:28 GMT 2003

Julian Church wrote:
> It just strikes me as odd; I thought the internet was entirely based on
> IP protocols.
>
> Perhaps I just don't understand your setup.

AFAICT, although I am probably wrong, a non-tunnel mode IPSec packet has
type ESP/IP instead of UDP/IP or TCP/IP.  I was hoping that the Bridge
Filtering ethernet Type filter would allow all the IPSec packets to be
sent to the VPN server without affecting anything else.

I ask because I have two of these ubiquotous Conexant ADSL routers (One
at home, one at work) and I was hoping I wouldn't have to either use
PPTP (which is TCP/IP over TCP/IP, which I am told is bad) or set the
routers up in Bridge Mode, which would be fine for work but impractical
at home for obscure reasons.

If the Bridge Filtering had worked as I'd thought, that would have been
fine for both. Oh well.

Dan