[Wylug-help] Boot Question

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 14:39:56 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, James Holden wrote:

> >> Maybe the partition table from /dev/hdc has got written to /dev/hda?
> >
> > Then how would you be able to boot from CD as he described?  I think the
> > partition table is fine, it's the MBR that's shagged (perhaps).
>
> I wasn't sure quite how it was booting. I've never used the Suse installer
> before. The installer might look for a kernel on the linux partition, or
> maybe boot a kernel from the CD with root=/dev/hda6.

No I wasn't entirely sure either, but whichever, the partition table must be
correct to the extent that all the linux partitions can be found by the booted
kernel (wherever that is).

If it had one loader in the MBR, and one loader at /dev/hda6, the fact that we
are dying with a LI message before we make a menu choice means that the loader
in the MBR is screwed.  I think.  Maybe.

jh

--
"Go to jail.  Go directly to jail.  Do not pass go.  Do not collect $200."
                                                      -- Charles Brace Darrow