[Wylug-help] Problem printing postscript file

Frank Shute Frank Shute <frank at esperance-linux.co.uk>
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 15:59:17 +0000

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 02:05:11PM +0000, Gary Stainburn wrote:

> Hi Nik,
>
> My printer system is installed fine and I can print other postscript documents
> and documents from apps like Openoffice with no problems.
>
> It appears to be just this one document that the printing system doesn't like.
>
> Gary

I'm afraid I'm away from my postscript printer ATM but it sounds like
if you haven't got a ps printer it could be that ghostscript is
failing to convert it properly to whatever language your printer
understands.

You could try running ghostscript from the command line on the file
and then cat the file to /dev/lpr or whatever it is. Something like:

$ gs -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -sDEVICE=ljet3 -dNOPAUSE -sOutputFile=foo.pcl foo.ps
$ cat foo.pcl > /dev/lpr

If that works then the problem is with your filter.

My printing hassles died as soon as I invested in a cheap PS printer
& wrote my own filter:

#!/bin/sh

cat -
echo "\n"

Anything that needs converting to PS first I do by hand.

--

 Frank

   Boroughbridge.
 Tel: 01423 323019