[Wylug-help] Problem printing postscript file

Frank Shute Frank Shute <frank at esperance-linux.co.uk>
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 15:44:15 +0000

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 09:17:38AM +0000, Gary Stainburn wrote:

> On Thursday 06 Feb 2003 3:59 pm, Frank Shute wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 02:05:11PM +0000, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> > > Hi Nik,
> > >
> > > My printer system is installed fine and I can print other postscript
> > > documents and documents from apps like Openoffice with no problems.
> > >
> > > It appears to be just this one document that the printing system doesn't
> > > like.
> > >
> > > Gary
> >
> > I'm afraid I'm away from my postscript printer ATM but it sounds like
> > if you haven't got a ps printer it could be that ghostscript is
> > failing to convert it properly to whatever language your printer
> > understands.
> >
> > You could try running ghostscript from the command line on the file
> > and then cat the file to /dev/lpr or whatever it is. Something like:
> >
> > $ gs -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -sDEVICE=ljet3 -dNOPAUSE -sOutputFile=foo.pcl foo.ps
> > $ cat foo.pcl > /dev/lpr
>
> Hi Frank,
>
> I tried this and it printed fine - with no errors or warnings from gs.  It's
> funny tho' that I can simply 'lpr gradient2.pdf' and the filter works fine,
> but if I 'lpr gradient2.ps' I simply get an empty page. I created the pdf
> using ps2pdf which is simply a wrapper for gs.
>
> Spooky eh?

I remember I had a problem with the RH print filters one day - it just
broke for no reason I could ascertain at all. You could try apsfilter
if buying a PS printer is not on option, or you might just want to do
it by `hand' if you're not doing a lot of printing.

> Anyway, as it's a PDF I want anyway so I can put it on my web site,
> it's a bit academic.

BTW, aswell as using gs for converting ps to pdf you can use Acroread,
there's a document that comes with the port on BSD (don't know about
Linux) that describes the command line options. As an example I use:

acroread4 -toPostScript -level2 -size a4 -pairs foo.pdf foo.ps

to convert pdf to ps. On occasion this can produce better results than
gs.

> Thanks anyway

No worries.

--