[Wylug-help] Bash Scripting question.

Thomas, Nicholas nick.thomas at eldon.co.uk
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 03:28:31 -0700

Hi,

I have a bash script to write and it would be nice if it had the following
attributes:

1) A simple script which throws out text messages to the console when
running in the foreground, using the echo command.
Whilst simultaneously sending the same output to a log file.

2) The script can be sent to the background (Using Ctrl-Z then 'bg' ). The
log file still gets its message text, but the console no longer
gets any messages. The script continues to run in the background.

3) I can resume foreground operation, using 'fg', and the console messages
start coming out on the console again. I am not worried about losing
the console messages which were generated while the script was in the
background because I can review the log file for the complete list.

I presume this is possible?

Kind Regards

Nick Thomas