[Wylug-help] ADSL & CCL

James Holden james at jamesholden.co.uk
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 13:23:07 -0000 (GMT)

Jim Jackson said:

> On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, Steve King wrote:
>
>> > 	An old 486 might make a good adsl interface / firewall / router /
>> > ... (if you can stand the noise of the fan)
>>
>> 486s do not need fans!  But, if you get an adsl router you shouldn't
>> need a 486 too (unless you are one of the security mad people).
>
> Mmmm... tries to remember. My main machine till about 4 years ago was a
> 486DX4/100 and I think it had to have a fan, not a heatsink. Not sure
> about the maker of the chip. And of course there is the fan on the PSU.
> Some of these old chips were pushing the envelope of design at the time,
> and need hods of Watts to do the simplest mipage. My current AMDK6/333
> state-of-the-art powered desktop (:-) uses obscene amounts of power for
> what you get out of it. The replacement new fanless NG mini-itx mobo,
> quiet disk, and fanless PSU is the next project - I've even got
> permission from management :-)

It's true that some of the older chips needed fairly hefty cooling. The
Pentium 60 being a notable example. 486SX's were OK, and you could run
them without even a heatsink, but the DX33 ran an awful lot hotter. You
can run any Pentium with a hefty enough heatsink without any special
airflow considerations. That's how my router machine runs. The psu is
fanless too, sort of - the fan broke months ago, but it hasn't affected
it!

James

--
James Holden, Leeds, United Kingdom